If you just had a car accident, you're probably in pain, confused, and getting hounded by your car insurance company and the other driver's. Accident law is confusing, especially in Florida!
There are lots of pitfalls and hoops to jump through. Missing even one deadline or step can cost you thousands of dollars in rejected claims for medical treatment and damage to your vehicle.
Here are 5 things to remember after an accident to help protect your rights:
1. Call the police or 911 right away!
2. Document everything. It's important to get the details of the accident, including the names of the drivers, passengers, witnesses, and vehicle owners, and both drivers' insurance information. When the police arrive at the accident scene, they will obtain as much information as they can, but by that time, witnesses or even the other driver may leave, so be proactive!
3. See a medical doctor within 14 days of the accident to avoid losing $10,000 of medical coverage under your no-fault auto insurance (PIP).
4. Do NOT give a statement to any insurance adjusters without hiring a lawyer first! The insurance company (whether it's your own company or the other driver's) will hound you right after the accident to try to get you to admit things that are not accurate or haven't yet happened, which can end up costing you your insurance benefits and more.
5. Call a lawyer who is experienced in Florida personal injury law, including car accidents. This is a very specialized and complicated area of law, so it's important to consult with someone who handles these types of cases regularly. At Kravitz Law Group, every first consultation is free, and you only pay us if and when your case settles or we win in court.